If you are a mountain bike beginner, then the first thing you should do is learn how to jump. Jumping can be done on any terrain and it’s super fun! In this tutorial, we will teach you all about jumping your mountain bike, from technique to safety tips.
- Start off by jumping small distances on flat ground. You can also practice in a grassy area to soften any falls that might occur.
- When you are ready, move onto steeper hills and jump between 15 – 20 feet long. Again, this is all about technique so don’t rush it! Spend at least one session on each length before moving up in distance.
- Once you have mastered the 15 – 20 foot jumps, look to increase the height and difficulty of your jumps! This is where it becomes more about technique than anything else. Mountain biking is all about trial and error with a little bit of luck thrown into the mix too! However, we do recommend you try and get a professional to teach you how to jump your mountain bike.
- Remember, when it comes to jumping off the ground or from one obstacle to another there are three things that can happen: landing flat footed which is great but not always possible; catching some air time, which looks awesome but slows you down so less chance of landing where you want to; and finally the worst thing that can happen is over-jumping which could result in a crash or worse.
- So remember, always be safe! When first starting out try not to use ramps as these can really increase your chances of an injury. Once you have mastered the art on flat ground then look for some ramps to practice with.
- As a general rule, always have somebody watching you when starting out and be sure to wear your safety gear! Helmets are essential as is knee/elbow pads and good quality shorts. You should also invest in a pair of gloves which will help guard against stings from branches but more importantly protect the palms of your hands when you hit the ground.
- Lastly, if possible always try and get someone to film your jumps so that you can see what you are doing right but also where mistakes have been made which could easily be corrected for next time! Now go out there and jump like a pro!
Mountain biking is a sport that requires learning from the ground up. If you’ve been thinking about taking up mountain biking or have already started but want to be able to jump, then this article should help get you on your way!